OSME believes that the young generation is crucial for the safeguarding and spread of nature conservation in a region like the Middle East, the Caucasus and Central Asia. Thus, OSME is happy to introduce the new Youth Development Fund that is designed to support and sponsor young bird conservationists across the OSME region.
Since 2016 we have helped arrange and run youth ’Bird Camps’ at Besh Barmag (Azerbaijan) and at Ras al Maten/Hammana (Lebanon). The focus of the bird camps is to get young birdwatchers and naturalists from different countries together to learn and exchange experiences. Based on these successful projects we have established a specific funding scheme – the Youth Development Fund.
The Youth Development Fund aims to support Bird Camps and education projects across the region as long as they meet the following basic criteria. Project ideas must:
- Focus on building and strengthening promising young birdwatchers and nature conservationists across the OSME region
- Provide opportunities and ways to get international experience and develop personal networks
- Promote the growth of youth groups and civil society within birdwatching and nature conservation
- Project leaders must be based in the OSME region (see the OSME region map)
- Projects must be aimed at 16-25 year olds
- Financial support usually in the region of £1000-2000 (but please discuss larger projects with us too)
- Project applicants must be able to receive funds via bank transfer only